The historical archives of Subotica is a cultural institution engaged
in activities concerning the protection of archival materials and
active records on the municipal territory of Subotica, Bachka Topola and
Since it became active initially as an archival area, The Archives
transformed into an institution that holds 484 fonds and collections
which contains 6 535, 77 shelf meters of archival materials.
So far, the institution developed and prospered and together with the
increase of storage and working space, the expertise among the archives
personnel has grown. Today it continues to develop following the
contemporary archival tendencies, according to the rules and
Full name of The Archives:
City State Archives of Subotica (since 1952),
The Historical Archives of Subotica (since1964)
Address of the Archives:
24000 Subotica, Trg Slobode 1/III
Stevan Mačković, director
Establishment of the archives:
The data from the existence of a room in 1751, which represented the
archives and had a purpose of preserving the correspondences created by
the city government, accounts for the long continuity of the records
preservation in our town. That is the year the first City Hall was built
which had only four rooms, one of which was the archives. Thanks to
that fact, the conditions for preservation of the documents created by
the city administration of Subotica have been created, beginning in
1743, when the town of Subotica acquired a municipal independency and
civil self-government. Since that period, administration activities can
be observed through the records that have been preserved. They continue
with their work in the following historical periods of The Habsburg
Monarchy, Austro-Hungarian monarchy, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and
Slovenes and Kingdom of Yugoslavia until the seventies of the 20th
century. These archival materials reflect the economical, political and
cultural life of people living in this area.
After the first one, two more City Halls were later built in Subotica
(in 1828 and in 1910) and the center of the Archives hasn't been moved
out of it to this day.
Organized way of preserving archival documents including the very
appearance of archival service in Subotice, can be recognized only after
the Second World War.
Having realized the significance of written documentation, the
government organs established the first rules and regulations after the
war, to prevent the destruction of the documents. Individual rules and
regulations about the protection of documentation will transform into an
organized means of protection by establishing the archival area for the
city of Subotica and Bachka Topola district, according to the decision
passed by the education department GIO NS APV no. 16800 since 1946. Nine
Archival Areas in Vojvodina were formed by this decision: Novi Sad
area, Sombor area, Subotica area (including the city of Subotica,
Subotica district and Bachka Topola district), Senta area, Velika
Kikinda area, This decision also stated that every archival area had to
have its own archival supervisor.
In the beginning of 1949, the Archival Area became the Archival
Center. In a document from 16 February 1949, issued by the city national
board – the executive board, to the archivist of the archival area, it
was stated that Archival Areas can not be treated as institutions, until
a new decision was passed by the Ministry of Education.
According to the rule of the executive board of the city national
board no. 2173/1952, passed according to the rule of Ministry of
Education of the National Republic of Serbia, no. 32355, an independant
institution was established, under the name of City State Arhcives in
The institution is named The Historical Archives of Subotica in 1964,
according to the rule of the district assembly no. 05-7101/1964. Rights
and obligations of the founder were conducted in that period by the
National Board of the District- Subotica District Assembly.
- in 1946, The Archival Area for the city of Subotica and Bachka Topola district was formed;
- July 16, 1947, The Archival Area supervisor was appointed;
- in the beginning of 1949, The Archival Area is transformed into The Archival Center;
- in 1952, an independent institution is established under the name of City State Archives;
- in 1964, institution is named The Historical Archives of Subotica.
The rule of the executive board of the City National Board of
Subotica no. 2173/1952, passed according to the decision of the Ministry
of Education of National Republic of Serbia, no. 32355.
HISTORY OF FONDS AND COLLECTIONS
The most important fonds at the very establishment:
Archival materials of the Magistracy 1743-1918, City Commissioners,
City Attorneys, Court Baron of the town Subotica, Bajmok, Aleksandrovo,
School supervisory committee.
From 1743, we can monitor the preserved materials created by the city
government. After the abolition of Tisa river and Morish river military
frontier, military town Subotica was proclaimed privileged market town
named Saint Mary by the charter issued by Maria Theresa. The preserved
fond from the period of free royal city Subotica (1779-1849 is the
Magistracy of the free royal city of Subotica fond. The work of the city
administration can be traced through the fond of the Town's Head Office
from 1850 to1860, followed by the fond City Council of the Free Royal
City Subotica from 1861 to 1918.
Later attained fonds and collection of significant value:
Town's Head Office 1918-1941, City National Board 1945-1954, court
fonds, Town Court for the social welfare of orphans – Subotica,
Collection of registers of elementary schools, archival material from
different associations, societies etc.
Overall quantity of archival materials in the archives:
At the end of 2010, there were 535, 77 shelf meters of archival
materials and 484 fonds, 391 of which are arranged and 82 not arranged.
There are 6 535, 77 shelf meters of archival materials in the
repositories. The institution is conducting monitoring over 833 archives
creating agencies on the territory of Subotica, Bachka Topola and Mali
The level of preservation:
Chronological analysis of the archival materials:
Documents in The Archives are from the period between 1658 and
2006/2008. The oldest original document kept in the archives is the
royal charter of Janos Senci form 1658. Around ten documents are
preserved from the period of Tisa river military frontier, which the
military town Subotica was apart of. After the battle at Senta in 1697,
Subotica was incorporated to the Military border.
Documents contained in the fonds and collection range over the period
of time from the 17th century to this day and give evidence about life
in Subotica and surrounding area. Archives keeps a vast group of
records: documentation (charters and diplomas), manuscripts (protocols,
registers and other books), documents with finding aids, handwritten
legacies for important families and people, charts, maps, plans, printed
material, photographs, audio-visual material, magnetic recordings
(disks and similar). Records are mostly written in Serbian, Hungarian,
German, Latin and Croatian. The material is categorized by the date of
creation in fonds and collections: organs of power and organs of
government, legal organs, education, science and culture, economy,
military, social and political organizations, family and personal fonds
Based on the categorization of records, archival fonds are grouped
into fonds of exceptional, big and general significance. There are 21
fonds of exceptional significant: F. 261. Magistracy of the Royal Market
Town Sent Mary (Subotica) (1743-1779), F. 272. Magistracy of Free Royal
Town of Subotica (1779-1849), F. 071.War damage district commission -
Subotica (1945-1946), F. 385. War damage commission for the district and
town - Subotica (1946-1947), F. 069. War damage commission - Subotica
(1945-1946), F. 283. Municipality Geodesic Administration - Subotica
(1965- ?), F:377. Land Registry Office – Subotica (1945-1965), F. 166.
Local Command - Subotica (1944-1945), F. 284. Military station – Pačir
(1944-1945), F. 348. Military station - Stara Moravica (1944-1945), F.
023 Royal District Court - Subotica (1871-1918), F. 020 District Court
(Sudbeni sud) - Subotica (1861-1871), F. 045. District Court- Subotica
(1919-1941), F. 086. District Court- Subotica (1945-?), F. 419. County
Commercial Court - Subotica (1945-?), F. 060. Town Head Offices of the
Free Royal City Subotica (1941-1944), F. 001 Vojnić family from Bajša
(1644-1946), F. 179. Collection of Ištvana Ivanji (1724-1783), F. 271.
Collection “Secret Archives” of the town Subotica (1743-1904), F. 275.
Collection of Projects (1845-1989), F. 216. Collection of Elisabeth
The majority of these fonds are used in research the most.
Repository space:2805, 9 m²
1.) The center (offices and repository space on 3rd and 4th floor in the City Hall) - 1371,71 m²
2.) Repository in Subotica (part of the basement in the building of the Court), Sencanski put 1 street - 227.50 m²
3.) Repository in Subotica (part of the object, 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor), Matije Gupca street – 506,37.98 m²
4.) Repository in Bachka Topola, (part of the ground floor storage space), Bajsanski put 21 street - 144 m²
5.) 3 bomb shelters in Subotica - 484,71 m²
HISTORY OF THE ARCHIVES' BUILDING
Short history of the Archives repositories:
At the end on 1948, The City Museum made one of its rooms available
to The Archival Area, and in 1949, two more rooms in Engelsova Street in
Subotica. At the end of 1950, the archival Center has been given eleven
rooms at the third floor of the Head National Board's building (which
was the official name of the place at that time) which is the City Hall
today, where The Archives is still located. The Archives was given
additional space for record keeping, in the basement of the court
building in 1982, in Bachka Topola in 1988, 3 floors in an object in the
Matije Gupca street in 2005 and 3 bomb shelters in 2008.
History of the current Archives' building: The building in which the
center of The Archives is currently located was built in 1908-1912, on
approximately the same spot as the former two. The building was built
according to the designs by two architects from Budapest, Marcel Komor
and Deze Jakab. The ground floor was accommodated by the catering and
trade services, the second and the third floor were occupied by the
administrative services, like today. Part of the third floor, formerly
utilized by the police and remand prison, is used for repository space
and offices of The Historical Archives.
The City Hall was built in the Hungarian secession style and the main
entrance is the most impressive, together with a complex of formal
rooms on the first floor.
The most interesting part of the City Hall is the tower, 76 m high,
resembling the tower of the government palace Târgu Mures in Romania,
which was designed by the same architects. The high tower has over time
become the trademark of the city and can be seen on various publications
about Subotica. The tower clock can be seen from every part of the
At some point, administration used to be located at a building known
as the new city hall. However, the lack of funds, the impressive object
and a central place of location were the factors that returned the
administrative service into the building which is a symbol of the city
for half the century now.
THE STUCTURE OF THE ARCHIVES
- Department for administration and general issues (Secretary and accountant department)
- Preservation service department
- Archival arrangement and description department
- Documentation and information department (Reading room, repository department and archival library)
Protection of the records:
– 851 registered record making agencies (37084,25 dm) and 484 fonds in the archives (6547 dm)
Activities with users:
– in 2010, the number of applications submitted in The Archives for
personal and legal purposes was 821 and the number of researchers was
141, 120 of which local and 21 foreign researchers (1120m books were
issued for use, 190 archival boxes, 1001 subjects, 44 maps, 42 folios)
and 34 users of library materials.
Head executive board issued a decision on November 2, 1946, to all
museums, archives and libraries in Vojvodina, about personnel employed
in these institutions. It is assessed that one director and archivists
and archival assistants should be employed depending on the amount of
archival materials and additional activities and tasks required. The
professional staff can be employed indefinitely, part-time or on
The first archivist in The Archives located in that period in the
city library, was Blasko Vojnic. On July 16, 1947, he was appointed the
first archival supervisor for the Archival Area of Subotica, including
the town of Subotica, district Subotica and district Bachka Topola.
In the annual report for the year 1948, Mihalj Prokes was a
volunteering supervisor from January 1 to July 11. After him Ivan Rudic
was appointed Archival Area archivist and supervisor. As a supervisor,
he took part in archival meetings and courses in Belgrade and Dubrovnik.
The number of employees in The Archives will begin to gradually rise
by the appointment of Emil Vojnovic as a supervisor, on November 28,
1951. Thanks to these archivists and archival assistants that worked in
The Archives, the archival material has become available for scientific
and other purposes.
There are 21 employees in the archives today.
Former directors of the archives:
- Blasko Vojnic (supervisor of the city library, in charge of organizing archival service, 1947)
- Mihalj Prokes (1947)
- Ivan Rudic (1949-1951)
- Emil Vojnovic (1951-1973)
- Andrija Horovic (1973-1974)
- Jozef Palinkas (1974-1975)
- Andrija Horovic (1976)
- Smilja Prijic (1976-1977)
- Milan Dubajic (1977-1993)
- Zoran Veljanovic (1993-2001)
- Stevan Mackovic (2001- )
- Dr Emil Vojnovic
- Gaspar Ulmer
- mr Janos Dobos
- Laslo Madjar